Thursday, May 14, 2009

Spring risotto, with asparagus, fava beans, and prosciutto


You might remember from my first post that I do not like to waste food, which can lead delicious but occasionally dubious combinations of ingredients. I can persevere through an imperfect dish, though, if it means I've salvaged some lettuce tottering on the brink of the compost bin, or used up the last two pieces of bacon.

Most of the time I like to think that I have enough cooking experience to make up a decent dish on a whim--certainly something that can be eaten good-naturedly by me and the husband while watching last night's Daily Show as the other hungry dog sits two inches from my knee, smiling her hot little smile and waiting for something, anything to drop. This is most often our dining ambiance during the week, and I'm willing to bet that at least one person reading this (assuming there is at least one?) has a similar routine.

Last night while mulling over the dinner options I noticed half an onion; a small handful of fava beans from last week's produce box; and an open bottle of pinot grigio, past the drinking stage but suitable (in my house, anyway) for cooking. Ta da! Spring risotto. Who knew that leftover bits and pieces could lead to such a satisfying dinner and delightful photo op?

2 comments:

  1. It looks so tasty! Nice job on the food photo. And yes, there is at least 1 person reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny. You throw together the most delightful meals. I'm jealous, especially since I eat dinner alone for the most part. It's hard to work up the energy to make something nice just for me.

    ReplyDelete