Saturday, January 11, 2014

A new twist on an old favorite


Sometimes a recipe takes hold of me and I just can't shake it until I've made it. This happened this week when I read about this simple and spicy tomato bisque, heated up with fresh ginger, red pepper, and cayenne and topped with tangy goat cheese.

I made it that same night to rave reviews. On a cold evening (cold by California standards, I admit), this hit the spot and had us peeling off sweaters. More and more, the husband and I really enjoy a spicy tomato sauce, which is basically what this is. I love this recipe most of all for its flavor and warmth, but the fact that I usually have everything in my pantry (with the possible exception of the ginger, which is a key ingredient) doesn't hurt. There's also the fact that it comes together in about 40 minutes, 30 of which are just the soup simmering while you watch last night's Jimmy Fallon on the DVR, check your email, or space out.

The next day, I ate the remainder of the soup (bisque?) for lunch, but left off the goat cheese and instead served up a grilled cheese on the side. Sometimes you just have to keep it old school.

8 comments:

  1. I do really, really love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tomato soup and grilled cheese sammies! The soup looks very thick, more like sauce and is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, sounds so comforting, and unusual with the goat cheese. But I have to say, I've never been able to get used to tomato soup. Never had it when I was growing up, so when I drink it as an adult, I feel like I'm either just drinking a V8 or a bottle of tomato sauce. I can't get it through my brain that I'm having soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy: it really is a great combo!

    Ben: I hear you. I hated tomato soup for years. Now, I like it. But I can't stand tomato juice or v-8. So, there you go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tomato soup and grilled cheese is something i will always crave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your post a lot! You should write some more on this!Great job coming with such terrific post!


    alchemist
    www.inspgift.com

    ReplyDelete