Monday, July 9, 2012

Blackberry upside-down cake


Here's another one I made ages ago and never got around to posting. Luckily, blackberries are still in season!

This cake reminded me of this cake, combined, say, with a clafoutis. Actually, you know who compared it to a clafoutis was my friend, Stacie, who I gave some to one day when she stopped by. Stacie knows that the answer to, "Do you want a piece of this cake?" is always "Yes," never "I'm on a diet" or "I just had dessert." What the hell do any of those things have to do with eating a delicious piece of cake? When offered, you eat it. Goodness knows life may throw enough unpleasant surprises your way; if you get an unexpected piece of cake, you eat it.

Here is a top view.


I had a little trouble getting the powdered sugar (which was my own addition--a cake needs something to finish it off) to stick. It just kept melting into the berries over and over, even when the cake was perfectly cool. So, I think the cake ended up getting sweeter than it should have, but I'll be the first to admit it didn't bother me. Have we discussed my raging sweet tooth?

You can find the recipe here, and like so many others, I have no doubt this would be divine with an array of other berries. The raspberry is King Berry in our house (the way the almond is King Nut) but I enjoy the blackberry and I can certainly dig the blueberry too. In the summertime, you just go with the flow.

18 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the correct answer to "Do you want a piece of cake." This one looks killer - gonna go pick some blackberries from the bushes around here (we get zillions) and try this. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to not eat dessert and this post is not helping me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the photo of the bridge. It reminded me of the Mackinac Bridge, which looks like that once in a while, but more often has to close completely when the wind is high. Winter storms cause a lot of trouble there too.
    This upside down cake looks great...I don't make too many things with blackberries, raspberries are the king berry here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoom: Well with freshly picked blackberries you simply can't go wrong!

    ALY: Then it was a successful post.

    Barbara: Let me know if you try it with raspberries. I think they would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blackberry is 'king berry' around here, so I love this cake! I especially like the berry-to-cake ratio---you got it just right!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was that really just blueberries? They look humongous, like almost mixed in with some raspberry. One piece will probably last me a week! LOL. BTW, I have the same annoying problem sometimes with powdered sugar when I make lemon bar. I just think it's an issue of how "wet" the cake is. When it's juicy like yours looked, it probably kept getting absorbed. No other solution around it unless you pile on so much powdered sugar that it creates a layer of dryness. Maybe some people like that? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue: Give it a go!

    Ben: All blackberries! And I think you're right about the wetness issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. upside down cake is so lovely--it's easy to make and always dazzles in presentation. the color of the blackberries is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - that looks amazing. Must try with whatever berry is on sale at this Sunday's market. I think I could even get away with serving that at a brunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. grace: yes, upside downs are among my favorite kinds of cakes!

    ash: Oh, definitely--it's appropriate for brunch, breakfast, dessert, or snack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Looks like the perfect summer cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh definitely, you never know when the unexpected might happen, so always eat cake when it is offered :) Especially one that looks as awesome as this.

    How have you been HD? I have been up to my eyeballs in lecture notes and assignment details, the blog has suffered quite a bit.Not to mention blog-hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessica: Thanks!

    shaz: Blogging is taking a backseat for us both I guess. Do you get a break from school soon I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have 40-quarts of fresh blackberries. You know this is on my list to make :-)

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fantastic! I love the berries, in general and pretty much all cake, so this is a definite winner for me. Sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I found you on Jessica's page and I love this recipe and the pictures! It definitely looks like an awesome summer cake/clafoutis. So rustic yet beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kate: Thank you!

    Haein: Thanks so much for finding me! I hope you give this a try.

    ReplyDelete