Saturday, March 6, 2010

Carrot and carrot soup


Hello, friends! Miss me?

Haven't posted in a few days, due to a few different reasons: had a cold, was taking care of Frances who was recovering from another bout of vertigo, and was generally feeling crabby, all of which contributed to not cooking much and therefore having nothing to post about. But by yesterday, my cold was mostly gone, Frances was on the mend, and while I was still a little crabby, I was starting to get my cooking mojo back.

I was in the mood to cook but not in the mood to go to the store. A quick inventory of our refrigerator revealed slim pickings, but I had the few ingredients I needed to make carrot soup, which was exactly what I was craving: something bright, pretty, healthy, and quick.

Have you noticed that lots of carrot soups are called carrot and something soup? Carrot and orange. Carrot and curry. Carrot and ginger. Carrot and parsnip.

While there are a few other ingredients in this soup, such as leeks and potato, carrots are the main event. Have we discussed my love of carrots yet? No? Let's do it now. I love carrots raw, roasted, sauteed, stir-fried, pureed into soup, baked into cake, shredded in salad, fried into tempura. I even came across a mention today of a carrot loaf, which, if you can believe it, made my mouth water a little bit. My carrot love is no joke.

So last night I decided to let the carrots shine. I used the same old method I always use, but this time I left out the cream and sprinkled the top with chives. While I was finishing up the soup, the husband made a turkey sandwich on toasted herb bread, cut it in half, and put one half on each of our plates.

My carrot and carrot soup was mild and creamy, with a savory background from the leeks, and depth from homemade chicken stock. A soup and sandwich dinner is a bit unusual for us, but I must say it hit the spot. While I'm not quite back to my usual cooking self, this lovely orange soup was a step in the right direction.

19 comments:

  1. I am with the husband about needing a sandwich or at least bread when I have soup...

    BUT, what a beautiful color, wonderful presentation, and the soup sounds TERRIFIC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling better! The soup looks wicked good, I can only imagine it was perfect with the sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that bright orange color! A soup and sandwich dinner sounds pretty good to me right now. (Could have something to do with the ridiculous amount of food I ate yesterday.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, HD, look at that last photo. My. Goodness. The colors of the Irish flag, right there on your table. Gorgeous.

    This soup sounds like it just hit the spot. We often have soup and sandwich or soup and salad dinners. YUM.

    I'm glad you're feeling better. I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love good soup recipes. This sounds delicious and sooo healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The color is beautiful! I'm not a soup fan, but that picture would make me try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, y'all! The great color is half the reason I love this soup so much. And it does make for a pretty photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. good for you for titling this recipe such that carrots get the attention they deserve--it's a beautifully creamy and colorful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really loving carrots lately too. I'm addicted to Marcella Hazan's braised carrot recipe. I agree on the straight-up carrot soup concept, sometimes all those other seasonings really overpower. Yum Yum! See you soon hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What glorious color! I'll wager this tastes everybit as good as it looks. I'm glad you are all on the mend. Have a wonderful day...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colours!!! So beautiful, I would dive right in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We often have soup and bread dinners when I really don't feel in the "mood". Glad this helped with the mojo - definitely looks the goods. Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for your well wishes, the cold is officially gone.

    Stace: Yank Sing or Nopalito soon?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You keep writing about carrots...it will eventually inspire me to be more creative w/them! Your soup looks delish. Well, we were on a parallel wavelength, AGAIN, as I just made orange-y roasted butternut squash soup with leeks, apple and curry yesterday. I will make my husband a sandwich to go w/it as an homage to your husband. -cwt

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love carrots growing up, I think because I was born in the Year of the Rabbit! :P But strayed a bit as I got older to all the other exotic vegetables. So thanks for reminding me about the goodness of carrots. I actually make a carrot and ginger soup! This is the best time for carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds just yummy! I'm a big fan of most things carrot and definitely soup! Don't love glazed carrots or anything else that makes me over the top sweet. Soup and sandwich dinner = a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carrot and carrot. I love it. No fancy pretenses here. It is what it is and it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great colour! Just like my sweet potatoes ice-cream! Isn't it great to have both in the same day?

    ReplyDelete
  19. cwt: are we in sync or what?! Like the sound of your squash soup. Hi to AT.

    Ben: that's cute about the year of the rabbit :) You should post about your carrot & ginger soup!

    cookbookapprentice: I'm with you on glazed carrots--I find them a bit sweet (though I will eat them)

    Apples and butter: thanks!

    Sophie: thank you, and yes, I love that color too.

    My little space: sweet potato ice cream, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete