Sunday, April 4, 2010

Salmon bulgogi, and something new


Sometimes I'm attracted to weird recipes. Like this one for Salmon Bulgogi. It sounded curious. Salmon what?

Just kidding. I know a little about bulgogi. Usually it's made with beef. But I was in the mood for some nice healthy salmon--omega 3, y'all!-- so I decided to give it a whirl.

I changed a few things, of course.

The temperature seemed too high, for one thing. 500 for 8 minutes! I'm not looking to serve salmon chips for dinner. And since I didn't have center-cut fillets but tail pieces, I knew it would cook faster anyway. So I reduced the heat to 450 and cooked the fillets for 6 minutes. For my taste, they were still overcooked, but for a normal person, like the husband, they were just right. I like my fish pretty much raw, though, so you have to take what I say and adjust it.

I also doctored up the veggies with some ginger and mirin, and served the whole thing over rice. I'm half Chinese, and Chinese people can't eat fish and stir-fried vegetables straight up. That's just not right.

Final verdict? Bright and flavorful, with a kick. I'd like a little more of a sauce--next time I might turn the glaze into one. The husband is less sauce-happy than me and liked it just the way it was.  Definitely something I'll do again --next time maybe with beef or chicken.

One last thing, but not about the bulgogi. I started a new blog. "What the what?!" you're saying. Yeah. I had this idea, so I'm trying it out. It's not about food, if you can believe it. I decided I wanted to start noticing things a bit more thoughtfully--sometimes small, pedestrian things strike me but I quickly forget about them. Having an iPhone is a nifty way of capturing these moments, and reminding you about them later.  I want to fit a little more creativity into my daily life, and I suppose that's the gist of this new blog: observe, capture, reflect.

It's a tiny baby newborn blog, so be kind. You can find it here.

23 comments:

  1. Salmon is my favorite fish... save all these. Low and slow cooker here, so I would have avoided the higher temps (both of em), and cooked with a probe thermometer

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Salmon sounds wonderful! We are truly kindred spirits, I poached salmon last night in pineapple juice etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your salmon looks fabulous. I just bookmarked it. Great blog btw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, I too cannot eat fish and vegs without rice, it is just waaaay too wrong! Although fish and potatoes are ok. Great new baby blog, often I think I'd like to start a new one so I can rant on it without all the foodie friends going "OMG you said what the what?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your salmon looks wonderful. I took a quick peak at your new blog and so far so good :-). I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bulgogi? Never heard of it, and the first thought was "Buluga" and then laughed ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Year on the grill: Mine too, although I love lots of fish. But salmon always hits the spot!

    Hungry Broad: we really are in sync! :)

    Kathleen: thanks!

    Mini Baker: I think it might be everyone's favorite fish!

    shaz: yeah. As much as I love food, I do have other things to talk about!

    Mary: thank you!

    tamilyn: Salmon buluga. Why not? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, what a great idea! I never would have thought of making salmon bulgogi, but it makes perfect sense!

    Congratulations on the newborn blog! I tried to leave a comment over there, but couldn't. Don't know if this is a problem on your end or mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of bolgogi, where is it from? Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you, Samantha. I like my salmon a little underdone. Also, I like a glaze on mine. Love the photo with the bok choy. Isn't that a wonderful veggie?

    ReplyDelete
  11. first of all, i love your baby blog--great idea! i'm also glad you've a good head on your shoulders and tweaked the recipe a bit--i don't know of anyone who wanted broiled salmon chips for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never made bulgogi because it's mostly beef and I rarely eat red meat, so I might try this salmon version. And I can't believe you're doing two blogs! I can barely keep up with one. But I love your idea of it and I'm digging the pictures with short commentaries. It really is a slice of living in your mind! Thanks for letting us visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting! I've never seen bulgogi marinade used on salmon, but I think it might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never heard of Bulgogi,gonna have to google it. But I like my fish under done and even though I'm not even close to being Chinese,I love my fish and veggies with a serious Asian twist. Gotta have soy, ginger, garlic scallions etc.
    Headed over to your new blog. Your a terrific writer, can't wait to read what you have to say.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds awesome. I tell ya, is Korean food the "It" cuisine or what? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. camille: give it a try, you might like it! Thanks for visiting baby blog. I think the problem may have been on your end but I'm not sure--let me know if you try again and still have problems.

    Bob: It's Korean. Try it!

    Barbara: bok choy is a household fave!

    grace: thank you!

    Ben: thanks! I know I may be crazy but I think it'll be fun to have two blogs. We'll see if I can keep it up!

    Jessica: do try it!

    Pam: you'll definitely like bulgogi--it's a korean style dish, usually with beef. I should have explained that better in the post.

    Carolyn: Totally! I know love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious. Salmon is my favorite fish so I am always thrilled to find new recipes. Clicking over to the new blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard of bulgogi before, but never tried it. I do love salmon, so I'd love to try this dish. Going to check out the new blog daaaaahling.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  19. Apples and Butter: Saslmon is the best!

    HH: I think you'll like it, the bulgogi I mean, and hopefully the new baby blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Will try for the little ones without the chilli paste (or less chilli paste). I think it will be a hit....

    ReplyDelete
  21. A Little: Yes, it could be a little spicy for kids, good idea on reducing the chili paste.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am very interested in the article that you created. I am very interested in Korean food I hope someday I can make it yourself

    ReplyDelete