Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ham and corn chowder

I have a new favorite cookbook.


When a publicist from Abrams Books contacted me to ask if I'd be interested in reviewing HAM: An Obsession with the Hindquarter, the new cookbook from Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, I leaped at the chance. You know I'm a friend of the pig. Well, I guess when you get down to it, I am an enemy of the pig, which is something I am occasionally racked with guilt about. But in any case, I said Yes please! and shortly later this stunning book arrived in the mail.

I spent a day or two pouring over it, ditching my Michael Connelly mystery and the Sunday Times for its elegant, matte pages. Periodically I would hold up a recipe or photo for the husband to admire.

"Doesn't that sound good?" I'd gush. "Doesn't that sound amazing?"

In addition to being straight-up gorgeous, the book is well-written, with enough details to provide substance but not so much that you feel bogged down. The writing style is funny and breezy.

Now, about the recipes. The way recipes are written in a cookbook is directly related to how much I want to cook from it. For example, I have Alice Waters' The Art of Simple Food. Great book, in philosophy and method. But, I don't care for the way the recipes are written. She doesn't list the ingredients all at the top--instead she intersperses them throughout the directions. I don't like this format, as it makes it likely that I'll miss something for the grocery list. So, although in theory that book is good, I don't use it much.

HAM's recipe are written traditionally, with the ingredients listed at the top and the directions below, clear and concise. It also has groovy side notes, such as ways to "slash your grocery list" or ideas to "round out the menu": a recipe for roasted country ham suggests serving creamy jicama slaw and chile-braised black-eyes peas alongside. There's even a section on throwing a party around a ham (hey, why don't I have friends like this?), with the sides that would go best, like pickled cippolini and fig ginger jam. To drink at your ham party? Ginger pear cosmos and pomegranate caipirinha, of course.

But the real reason I love this cookbook is because I want to make almost all of the recipes. Such as: pork cracklings, ham and potato savory cakes, shirred eggs in prosciutto cups, and stewed mussels with jamon, serrano, chickpeas, and saffron. And perhaps as my last meal, as I'm sure that's what it would be, someone could make me the brie, grits, ham, and apple casserole.

But for my first attempt to cook from HAM, I decided to keep it basic: Ham-and-Corn Chowder.

This soup is divine. Creamy, rich, and full of salty ham and sweet corn, it's brightened by lemon zest, which is genius, and given earthiness by marjoram. But the real kicker is making the beurre manie and slowly thickening the soup with it at the very end. The result is a velvety, dreamy soup you simply want to inhale.


HAM is a winner and I highly recommend you check it out. And if you make that grits casserole, please invite me over.

Ham-and-Corn Chowder
from HAM: An Obsession with the Hindquarter

3 T. butter, two softened to room temperature and set aside
12 oz. smoked, wet-cured ham, chopped
3 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels (I used frozen)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 medium Yukon Gold potato, chopped
2 t. minced fresh or 1 t. dried marjoram (I used dried)
1 t. finely grated lemon zest
1/2 t. celery seeds
1 c. dry white wine or vermouth (I used vermouth)
3 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 t. salt or to taste (the cured ham is quite salty)
1 t. pepper
2 T. flour

1. Melt 1 T. unsoftened butter in a large soup pot or saucepan. Add chopped ham and cook, stirring often, until frizzling and quite fragrant, about 3 minutes.

2. Stir in the corn, onion, and potato. Cook, stirring often, for 3 more minutes.

3. Add marjoram, lemon zest, and celery seeds, and continue cooking for about 20 seconds. Pour in the broth and wine. As the soup comes to a simmer, use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits off the interior surfaces of the pot.

4. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the potato bits are meltingly tender, about 45 minutes.

5. Stir in the cream, salt, and pepper. As everything simmers for a couple of minutes, use a fork to mash the flour with the 2 T. softened butter in a small bowl until the mixture is quite uniform. (This is the beurre manie.)

6. Stirring all the while, drop this butter mixture by dribs and drabs into the simmering soup, taking 6-8 additions to get the whole paste added and stirring well after each before adding the next. The whole process should take about 3 minutes. Taste for salt, add more if necessary, then dish it up.

21 comments:

  1. Don't you LOVE the cover? And I'm a "pig" lover too...I think this cookbook might be right up my alley. The soup sure is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my kind of cookbook! I actually have a big chunk of ham/bone in the freezer I've been waiting to find a use for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second post I've read about this book, and I must say, I'm totally jealous. The recipes sound fantastic, and I do love me some hog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such a nice post about the book. We had as much fun writing and shooting it as it sounds you've had reading it and cooking from it--and I suppose no one could ask for much more. Thanks for all your kind words. That soup looks lovely! (And next week, we shoot the pictures for the sequel to that ham tome called GOAT: IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE CHICKEN!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you did a good job making that chowder. Sounds yummy! Mark is in town this month to teach a class somewhere on the Peninsula so you might want to check it out. I'm sure he'd appreciate having fans in his class! (Forgot the date, but I'm sure it's on his Web site.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A ham party, eh? Can I come?
    Your chowder looks and sounds great. I have to agree about the ingredient list thing. I don't think I'd like trying to follow the recipe that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara: I adore the cover. I think you'd really like this book!

    Bob: Give the soup a try & let me know what you think!

    camille: yes, the book is all the rage, isn't it?! Put it on your list...

    Mark: my pleasure! Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to checking out your past books as well as the next one on the horizon!

    Ben: thanks for the tip! I might check that out. Are you going?

    oneordinaryday: You can totally come to my ham party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may be trying to go semi-veggie and eat more grains and greens these days, but as this cookbook suggests, I will never end the love affair with CHANCHO! Did you say prosciutto cups?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ham and corn...hmmmm....I love all things pig too! Unfortunately not everyone at home eats pork :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. with a title like that, the book has to be a winner. i enjoy a few chuckles as a peruse a cookbook, but that's a rare find indeed! the chowder looks and sounds great, and i'd gladly join you in partaking of your last meal. we'd go down happy, don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! Will have to keep an eye out for that book round these parts. That soup doesn't stand a chance if you placed it in front of moi. (I'm a fan/fiend of the pig too)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your soup looks fantastic! I feel like having one now... hmm..mm.... Have a wonderful day!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jary: You would love this cookbook--the recipes, and the way it is written. Maybe a little bird will send you a copy...

    A Little Yum: well more for you, right?!

    grace: Oh, totally. Stuffed with brie and grits and ham is a pretty good way to go if you ask me.

    shaz: You'd love it!

    Kristy: Thanks! Wonderful day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great recipe, I am always on the lookout for fab new cook books, although right now i think i have too many lol.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sophie: Thanks! And I agree, the lemon is a fabulous touch.

    HH: I feel ya. I have a lot too, some of which I never use but still can't part with...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the cover of the book and I'm sure will be charmed by it's content. Thanks for letting us know about the book and sharing the chowder recipe.I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary: thank you! Hope your day is fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was eyeing that recipe in the book, too. Yum, it sounds so creamy wonderful. Glad to know it lives up to its promise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Homer (Simpson, that is) was right, pigs ARE the Magical Animal! What a lovely book and such a beautiful recipe. Even though we're entering into the warmer months, I'm still craving soups and chowders. I remember my dad loving the holidays for no other reason that they would yield a few ham bones that would be frozen and used later for soups!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ham, the cookbook -- I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carolyn: You won't be disappointed...

    wasabi: I know, I'm not done with soups and stews yet either...still have some chilly nights here!

    alittleyum: you will love it, check it out.

    ReplyDelete