Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Raspberry crumble bars


My iPhoto library is full of good intentions--all kinds of things I've made over the last few months, photographed for you, then never posted about. Like these delicious raspberry crumble bars I made back in...January? February? And here it is mid-June! Oh well, better late than never.

Like all Ina Garten recipes, this one starts off with a hefty lump of butter and a steady stream of sugar. Pile on some raspberry jam and you're looking at a major toothache. But, they're worth it. I think the real secret is the granola in the topping. And if you happen to have good homemade granola on hand (sans fruit), so much the better.

These bars are simple as can be and crazy delicious. Your only effort is in remembering to soften the butter. The husband and I gobbled a few after dinner the first night I made them and the next day, I brought some in a little paper sack to my friend, Amy. We ate gigantic plates of Hawaiian food for lunch and then went our separate ways. On the way home, she texted me that she had eaten all the bars in the bag in a matter of minutes. Let me back up and say: unlike me, Amy is not gluttonous in the least. She could be--she's about 10 feet tall and thin as a rail. But she's moderate. Also, she works for a food magazine and is always the beneficiary of the test kitchen. So, when she likes something, it's officially good.

It just happens that I have black raspberry jam on hand, as well as a fresh batch of granola. Better put the butter out...

15 comments:

  1. Oh my, these do sound very good indeed. The hubby is a fan of raspberry jam and crumble, so I'm sure they'll be well received :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cliché to say I'm drooling on my keyboard, but that's exactly what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shaz: tell the hubby he's welcome :)

    zoom: sometimes it can't be helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love all those sliced almonds up top. these are stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bars like these are most definitely delicious. I could eat them anywhere with a tall glass of milk,
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. grace: they're a great touch!

    Velva: I'd say these are good for breakfast, snack,or dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hungry Dog (HD), I've seen your blog comments on Jessica's Dinner Party over a period of time and thought I'd introduce myself and say G'day. My name is Fran from G'day Souffle'- an American living in Adelaide, South Australia. Your Raspberry Crumble bars look so good and I'm looking forward to seeing some more fresh California food soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Fran--thanks for stopping by! I'm excited to check out your blog, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is totally the kind of pastry I'd eat for breakfast. I mean, it has jam! It's just like toast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm only going to make these if I'm taking them to a meeting or something. Otherwise, I'd eat the entire panful. Not kidding here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. camille: Yes, this is definitely breakfast material!

    Barbara: Yeah, these need to leave the house, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen similar bars with summer fruits that are delicious. But I like the idea of using jam and granola because this can be made in the winter months when there aren't that many fresh fruits to top them with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want some in a sack, please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ben: yes, it's definitely a year-round dessert.

    Claire: Come to California...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Southern Sydney. Your Strawberry Fall apart cafes look so good and I'm eager for seeing some more clean Florida food soon!
    WOW Gold
    buying rs gold

    ReplyDelete