Thursday, March 8, 2012

Blueberry doughnut sugarbombs


Thought I'd send you into the weekend with these little beauties. I made them a few weeks back and have been dreaming longingly of them ever since.

The actual name of the muffins (courtesy of the fabulous Flo Braker) is "Blueberry Muffins with Doughnut Topping." In some ways, this is more accurate--the body of the muffin is pretty standard muffin material--not overly sweet and there's no rising or deep-frying or whatever else actual doughnuts entail. (I wouldn't know because I can't stand doughnuts--one of the very few sweets I find easy to resist).

Little muffin bods aside, though, the topping is pure sugary, buttery goodness, which is the aspect of doughnuts I can get behind. The process is a little obscene--you take the baked muffins, dip the tops in a bowl of melted butter and then roll them in cinnamon, sugar, and cardamom. I was relieved the husband didn't walk in on me doing it. It just seemed...wrong.

In fact, the preponderance of butter made my muffin liners pop off and pull away, as if even they were thinking, This is extreme. We're out.


No prob. I'm just gonna peel you little suckers off anyway to get to the soft purpley underbelly.


Since I'm lazy as hell, I searched the interweb in hopes that someone else had taken the time to type out this recipe and lo and behold, I found it here. Thanks, fellow blogger!

I'm not sure you need all the melted butter for the topping, or even all the sugar mixture: truth be told, I chucked out quite a bit of both, and I was not exercising any restraint. So, you could certainly scale back there if you're interested in, say, staying alive. I may even do so the next time I give these a go, which could be as soon as this weekend.

14 comments:

  1. Cripes, I wish I hadn't visited you today. Let's not think about dipping them in butter et al, let's just say your donut/muffins contain blueberries, which are good for us. :)

    (I'm with you...I don't like donuts at all. Never understood everyone's obsession with Crispy Creme.
    But my grandmother used to make something called Long Johns, which I thought were delicious.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no fear of butter, so I'll be dipping mine. Can't wait until there are fresh blueberries in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara: You and I me the only two people on the planet who don't like doughnuts...

    Zoom: They are there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really, just dip the tops in melted butter and roll in sugar and cardamom....Oh baby, this rocks.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. so many times, pictures don't do a treat justice, but you've captured the fluffy, fantastic essence of these--bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Velva: The cardamom really makes these sing.

    grace: oh, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you, not so much of a donut fan (unless it's a sweet potato one). Actually I'm not that big a muffin fan either, but ones dipped in butter and rolled with sugar? I am definitely havign some of that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so good! Carole sent me a similar recipe awhile back. They called for no blueberries and NO liner papers: you roll the entire muffin in butter and sugar - top, sides and bottom!! Greasing/spraying the pan makes for a little more cleanup, but you also end up with more butter and sugar (as if that's really necessary... though no one ever complained). Pete

    ReplyDelete
  9. shaz: Yes, for better or worse (worse, probably), the sugar and butter make these donuts palatable to me.

    Pete: I'm sure those are even better (due to the increased butter & sugar!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The personification of the muffin liners and their desire to jump ship made me laugh out loud. Totally making these soon. Yay for cardamom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ash: yes, another use for your cardamom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, love blueberry muffins, sugar, butter and cinnamon, so this looks like it's right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huh, I doubt very much your husband would object to the idea of rolling in butter and sugar. ;-) As for me, I'd probably just brush the tops with butter and then sprinkle. I love the idea of sugary tops, but I have to say, I just love the rustic shapes of how the muffins turned out. Um, did you try them without the buttery sugar tops to see what they were like ... naked?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ishita: Give them a try!

    Ben: You're right, of course, about the huz! And, I did make these again over the past weekend but instead of doing the butter & sugar thing, just sprinkled some of the sugar mixture over the tops before baking. Not completely healthy but a good deal better than getting doused in butter (not as delicious though!)

    ReplyDelete