Overall, it's been a great year. It started off rough--we lost Frances in January, which broke my heart. But, the thing about life propelling forward is that eventually the hard or sad things get further away and you start to pick up happy and even fantastic things to focus on. Like traveling to wonderful places, or welcoming new members into your family.
Now, all of a sudden, the year is coming to a close. I generally feel neither excited nor melancholy about the holidays; however, this year was a little bit special. Someone I love very much had a serious health scare in the months leading up to the holidays, the kind of situation which demands that you be optimistic while quietly steeling yourself for the unknown. I am delighted to say that good news has prevailed, lending a true sense of joy to the the season. Whether you thank a god or a lucky star, these are the times one simply surrenders to the deepest feelings of gratitude.
To wrap up the year, I've put together a little highlight reel of the past year, food and otherwise.
1) We went to Paris and Barcelona, where we ate, drank, walked, and marveled for two weeks.
|First day in Paris, jetlagged and happy.|
2) I made a very average strawberry shortcake, which turned out to be my most popular post of all time.
|Pretty but boring.|
3) We found Sophie.
4) The husband ventured into the kitchen and made clam chowder, giving me a run for my money.
|Not bad, even if it was from Esquire.|
5) I spent a fabulous day with my sister in New York and ate the famous Momofuku Ssam Bar pork buns, the thought of which still sends me into a dreamy little daze.
|Porky pork belly, I'll take two please.|
6) We celebrated the husband's birthday on a beautiful, not-foggy day in August at Delfina.
|Prosecco to ring in the next year!|
7) I became obsessed with both Dorie Greenspan and sardines.
|Dorie's sardine rillettes.|
8) I had a blogging crisis and started talking about non-food things, which overall seemed to be met positively.
|The subject of one of my ramblings.|
9) I overcame my dislike of eggs. Sorry, cholesterol!
|I ate eggs at home and abroad.|
10) We went to Maui and began seriously considering a permanent move to the island.
|If you don't want to live here, something is wrong with you.|
I hope you all have enjoyed a happy and healthy year, and I wish you the same for 2012!
|Me and my girl at Pizzetta 211.|