Friday, January 14, 2011

Chicken adobo

In keeping with my non-resolution  for the new year, I made something brand new this week, something I have been meaning to make for ages: chicken adobo.

I got the tip-off about this article in the Times from my cousin Joaquin a few days before I saw it in print. By the time that rolled around, I was already committed to making the recipe.

I've made soy sauce chicken dozens of times, which I always think of as similar to adobo--both have that winning sweet-salty combination. But adobo leans heavily on the vinegar. While it does mellow a bit through simmering, you can still taste a little sharpness. I like it.

One thing I left out of this recipe was the chilies. I actually meant to include them--at least one or two--but the store I went to only had big chilies, like anaheims. I actually bought one of these, shrugging to myself in the grocery aisle that what difference would it really make (a lot? none? who cares? I was feeling cavalier), but strangely, when I got home, the chili had escaped my grocery bag. Ran for its hot little life, I guess. So I made the adobo chili-free, which, I have to confess, was fine for me and the husband, as neither of us really goes for the hot food too much.

I loved this recipe. It ended up being a combination of soy sauce chicken and fire and smoke chicken, another favorite. It was my first time working with coconut milk, if you can believe it, and I was a little appalled opening the can. I had neglected to shake it and it stared up at me in a giant clumpy paste. But I turned it out into a bowl and whisked it up a bit which helped considerably.

Not only did I enjoy the flavors of this chicken (marinating for a few hours does wonders), but I have to say it beat my soy sauce chicken in the texture department. After you simmer the chicken for 30 minutes or so, you pull it out and broil it while reducing down the sauce. You may notice that I got a little distracted and let the skin get a bit darker than I might recommend. I forgot how rapidly the broiler can take something from crispy to burnt.

In any case, the chicken was delicious served with plain rice and stir-fried bok choy. The next night it was even better, though, in part because the flavors had further developed, and in part because I made fried rice with the remaining rice, and it's hard to beat any dinner that contains homemade fried rice. I'm sure you'll agree.

21 comments:

  1. I love chicken adobo, I had a few co-workers who use to cook that for family meal. Never had it with coconut milk though, sounds like something I should try, as that would round out the salt and acid nicely!

    And speaking of forgetting the rapid habits of broilers...I also forget on a regular basis to this day. One time at a job I actually left a sheet pan of sliced peppers in the salamander to do a quick roast...many minutes later there were little piles of ash everywhere. Will never forget the look on my boss' face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! We're on the same page here, although you beat me to it! As soon as I read this article in the times I knew I wanted to make it! I have it tagged on my phone and have been meaning to get to it, but somehow it has escaped me! Maybe I'll make it this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my to-make list for a while as well - my sister-in-law, who is filipina, gave me her father's recipe a while back, and I really want to try it. I don't think we'll be leaving any chilies out, though, Nick and I are crazy for the hot stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chili escaped, huh? Well...sometimes things like that happen for a reason. I think I'd leave it out deliberately. My tummy doesn't like really spicy hot dishes. This really sounds good.

    Smiled when I read your comment about coconut milk. It is gross when not mixed. I use it a lot in place of milk or cream in a lot of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you commented on the fact that it tasted so much better the next day. Why is that so much of my food tastes so much better the day after!?

    Also do you think you can make this with chicken breasts instead of thighs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adobo is addicting. Love that sweet-tangy sauce. A local chef gave me a recipe for scallops adobo, and it is magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude would call that 'blackened'....he does that a bit. Sounds really good. I'm not a hot and spicy girl myself, so I think I would really enjoy this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I don't think you've taken it too far at all, I reckon just about right with the char, yum. Would you believe I've never made adobo before? And funny about the chilli because it's happened to me once or twice, I realised later that they were so slim, they had fallen out the bottom of the shopping trolley by the time I got to the checkouts (I don't put my produce in bags if I can help it). And definitely agree with you on the fried rice score.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That chicken looks and sounds so appealing. The sauce is over the top. I'm new here and have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries as well as this one. I really like the food and recipes you feature on your blog. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had peppers run off on me before, too. Quick little guys, they are.

    This looks delightful - and that's a great photo ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Connie: I was also surprised by the coconut milk--I'd looked at other recipes before and never seen that. It did seem to round out the flavors though.

    Jessica: Let me know if you try it!

    camille: I'd be interested in seeing your sister in law's recipe...seems like there are a million different takes on adobo (or more?)

    Barbara: yes, I have to confess I did not miss the chili either...

    DS: I think you could do it with chicken breasts, although I would definitely leave them on the bone. And, you wouldn't simmer them for as long.

    CJ: scallops adobo, I am intrigued!

    tamilyn: Dude's got it right.

    shaz: you'd probably like this, given what I know about your palate! Give it a try.

    Mary: Thanks so much--I do hope you come back!

    Rich: Thanks! The photo turned out much better than I thought!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awh-some! Gonna try this out soon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this article and printed the recipe. Great minds think alike! :) I do have an adobo recipe from a friend which I made a while back and need to put up on our blog. That one doesn't have coconut milk but this version I think warrants a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sweet, salty, AND sour--hoo-ah! this is the type of dish that's right up my alley...if i lived in an alley...which i don't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. coloredgrains: I hope you do!

    ALY: Ooh, I'd love to see your friend's recipe too...there are infinite variations, I understand.

    grace: you are a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love adobo, but haven't had great success cooking at home. My friend's father makes a really good one, but doesn't have a recipe, just a list of ingredients... don't think I've ever heard of adobo with coconut milk, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, the broiler-blackened chicken actually looks really caramelized to me. ;-) I've never had good adobo, for some reason it's always drowning in the vinegar sauce. So maybe I might make it myself so I can thicken the sauce. I've never heard it with coconut milk either, but sounds interesting. Why am I the only one who missed this Times article? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds awesome. I wish I had some chicken - I'd make it for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  19. foodhoe: your friend's father's recipe sounds old-school--based on experience rather than measurements. I'd love to try it.

    Ben: The vinegar sauce can be a bit much in some versions--one thing I do like about this recipe is that you take it OUT of the sauce and add it as you prefer when you serve it. And yes, clearly you are the only one who missed the article :)

    oneordinaryday: There's always tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sure fires up my taste bud, dish fitting for this cold unnerving weather. I always like that tangy taste of adobo but with coco milk, that sounds appealing. Got to try your version.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow looks so lovely. I have an adobo mix at home.. do you think it will help?

    ReplyDelete