Monday, July 6, 2009

Pork chops, inspired by the Evergreen Dinette

My mother, though born and raised for much of her young life in South America, learned to cook in a teeny town in Michigan, where her parents eventually moved and owned a restaurant, the Evergreen Dinette. My poor mother spent many evenings of her high school years not only waiting tables but cooking at the old Evergreen, making her share of burgers, pork chops, and meat loaf. No wonder it sent her running for Manhattan, then Europe, and then finally San Francisco.

During my childhood, my parents split the cooking, which I now realize was pretty unusual for a 1970's household. The truth was, my dad liked to cook, and he got home earlier than my mom did, so it increasingly made sense for him to do the bulk of the cooking during the week. He made mostly Chinese food for a long time, but later branched out into Italian, Indian, and Japanese.

My mother did more of the weekend cooking. The food I associate with her is decidedly 1950's American: baked ham, beef stroganoff, salads with iceberg lettuce and bottled French dressing. No doubt these were some of the dishes she dutifully churned out from the Evergeen's cramped and steamy kitchen. Later, she got adventurous, and whipped out chicken kiev, homemade gnocchi, and a heartbreaking dish called Crying Leg of Lamb, in which the meat is roasted over the potatoes, which makes them salty and crispy and unarguably lamby. As much as I loved it, I felt terrible eating that dish, because all I could think of was the weeping baby lamb as I dipped each forkful into cool green mint jelly.

But what I associate most with my mother's cooking is pork chops. Pork chops weren't chic the way they can be now; at the time, they were probably cheap, which is why we had them a lot. She would pan-fry them and serve them with mushrooms and a creamy sauce.

I still love pork chops. They are as malleable as chicken, and super quick. I make them the way my mother made them, but I also make them with a speedy tomato sauce, or with marsala, or with apples. This weekend, I decided to go with plums, since we had a lot to use up. I threw together a plum compote, with red onion for bite, brown sugar for sweetness, and a cinnamon stick for warmth. I let it cook briefly, as I didn't want the plums to lose their shape or color.

It turned out tangy and spicy and a little bit sweet. Not a far cry from the pork chops and applesauce the patrons ate the Evergreen Dinette probably ate--maybe just a bit brighter and fresher. I guess you could call it an updated classic.

6 comments:

  1. I like writing about parents as the thoughts come to me. Food is such an easy hook. I like the plum sauce idea, I am usually boring and make apple sauce...need to move on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds positively delicious, Samantha! I grilled a whole salmon this weekend at a friend's house in a bundle of rosemary branches and lemons tucked in the cavity, but I couldn't begin to tell you how to do a compote properly. My cap's off to you, chef!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh my plum tree bloomed for the first time in five years and I have a small bucketful that I managed to save from the birds. No idea what to do with them, but I do love pork chops...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alis: yeah, move on from apples!no, I love apples. But pork goes with most fruit so it's fun to play around.

    birddogsf: I'm impressed with your grilling of a whole salmon--you should not be impressed with me making a compote!

    foodhoe: Lucky you with the plum tree! You could make pork chops and plums any old time. Plums are good in cakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like such a lovely dish!! Mmmm plum compote...I wish a had had a plum tree too!!

    ReplyDelete