Monday, June 6, 2011

Winter weather, summer food


It's been cool and rainy here, kind of a drag. While the rest of the country is lighting BBQ's and donning sundresses, we're biding our time in raincoats until summer arrives...which means straight-up fog and wind for three months. Oh, joy.

Sometimes you just have to live in a bit of denial. Like last night, I opted for a summery dinner, in spite of the grey skies and the fact that we were both walking around in sweaters. Scallops over a quick saute of zucchini, corn, and tomatoes, a combination of vegetables that to me says nothing but summertime.

I've accepted the fact that I will never cook scallops to look good--check out the photo--one is like the cool suntanned friend next to the three pale duds trying desperately to get some color. Oh well. I have to say they tasted fabulous. I cooked them in a cast iron skillet over high heat, three minutes a side. That's just right for our taste, which runs toward the slightly rare. Plus, overcooked scallops are just a waste of money, and these little things were not cheap.

I love how scallops, more than some other foods (though not as much as oysters), smell just like the sea. Sophie, who has shown remarkable restraint in the kitchen, turned into a bit of a hound dog, her nose going wild, as soon as I pulled them out of the fridge. I am positive had I looked away they would have slid quickly--raw, one after the other, absolutely whole--down her gullet. Good thing I was on to her. I'm not new to this labrador thing, you know, and what they will do for food. We're kindred spirits in this regard.

In any case, it was a badly-needed glimmer of summer--no substitute for actual sunshine and warmth, of course, but I'll take what I can get.

13 comments:

  1. Ah, I definitely know what you mean! It was really sunny and warm for a few days and suddenly it start thunder storming a few nights ago here in Paris. Glad you found a little summer cheer through your delicious looking scallops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling sorry for myself about our winter but after reading your post, it sounds like your summer isn't all that glam either. At least you managed to ingest some sunshine. I love scallops and no one else in the house eats them, which means no sharing :) Sophie is gorgeous, labs keep you on your toes don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica: Paris is still beautiful, even in the rain!

    shaz: Lucky you, all the scallops to yourself (how can your family not like them??)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way. I've been lamenting all this rain and cold -- yet been eating my fill of ice cream and popsicles. Hey, what can I say -- my stomach thinks it's summer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. CJ: And you must listen to your stomach... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like scallops too...but for some reason, I've been on a bay scallop kick lately. They'd work here just as well.
    (Summer is here for Florida for sure! Wish I could share it with you.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how dogs have their own tastes for food like humans. Mine will do anything for chicken. She even likes kimchi and wasabi which she once stole when I wasn't looking, crazy little thing! (Luckily nothing happened.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. how weird--while it's been cool in your neck of the woods, it's been as hot as heck here. backwards, eh?
    scallops aren't a friend of mine, but i love the veggie base. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you use butter to pan fry your scallops? I think that might help give it more of the golden brown color you're looking for. But I do love seared scallops in any way. Something about the searing just really brings out that savory sea flavor! Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks super yummy. I have seasonal confusion. I always find myself making pot roast or soup on the hottest days (rare as they are), and salads in heavy fog. Also, Tim somehow always manages to eat for lunch whatever it is I've put together for dinner. So maybe that means he is equally as confused.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara: wish you could share that summer with me, too!

    Aarthi: thanks, and thanks for stopping by!

    Connie: wow, kimchi and wasabi, that's a dog with sophisticated taste!

    grace: well, YOU have the normal summer weather...

    Ben: I did not use butter but that is a very good idea, which I plan to remember next time!

    ALY: I'm not sure that Tim is confused...maybe smart!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like we made it. Clear skies and warm temp. Are you enjoying a little of that on your urban hilltop?

    ReplyDelete
  13. cookie: yes, summer is here --for the afternoon, at least!

    ReplyDelete